In the past 6 years Manchester City Council, local charities and community groups have invested over £600,000 and countless hours to improve the site and give the land back to the people of Gorton.
Until the beginning of the 20th century the area occupied by Nutsford Vale adjacent to the Nico (Mickle) Ditch was agricultural land, much as it had been for hundreds of years but the area was soon eaten up as part of the industrial revolutions of Manchester.
In 1909, brickworks were constructed close to Nutsford Vale and the Vale was used as a clay mine, creating a large ditch to extract the clay for use within the factory. The urbanisation of the surrounding area continued through the 20th century. During 1981/82 the large hole left by the clay quarry was landfilled and became the Matthews Lane Tip, also known locally as ‘Jackson’s’. After many accidents and even deaths, recognising the dangers, the local authorities filled in the excavated site.
After being filled in, it was left as ‘open space’. There was no organised maintenance on the site and it was allowed to grow whatever took hold on it. It became a draw for dirt bikers and antisocial behaviour, causing problems within the neighbourhood. So, with support from Manchester City Council and Red Rose Forest (and others) the Vale was created into a ‘country park’, a beautiful community resource and wildlife cultivation area within the city. From a shut-down landfill riddled with fly tipping, crime and antisocial behaviour, it now has a wildflower meadow, several seating areas, pond, lined footpaths and a community orchard.
The Friends of Nutsford Vale manage this green amenity, encourage wildlife, birdlife, trees and shrubs, and preserve the space for today and tomorrow.[powr-multi-slider id=ee05c08b_1488562622]
For more information about the Nico Ditch Click Here